This weeks post is all about my ABSOLUTE favorite drink: Matcha!
I love teas and vegan hot chocolate, but I wanted something a little more frothier to drink while studying or just relaxing. I recently discovered this drink while I was looking for healthy coffee alternatives and just happened to stumble upon it at my favorite restaurants secret Latte menu! This drink immediately became an instant favorite and I drink it almost every day. It is so creamy and so frothy and jam packed with health boosting nutrients, how can you not drink it every chance you get?
What is Matcha?
So what exactly is Matcha? Short Answer: Its a special form of Green tea!
But as Cynthia Sass. MPH, RD from Health.com puts it:
“Matcha literally means ‘powdered tea.’ When you order traditional green tea components from the leaves get infused into the hot water, then the leaves are discarded. With matcha, you’re drinking the actual leaves, which have been finely powdered and made into a solution.
Unlike traditional green tea, matcha preparation involves covering the tea plants with shade cloths before they’re harvested. This triggers the growth of leaves with better
flavor and texture, which are hand selected, steamed briefly to stop fermentation, then dried and aged in cold storage, which deepens the flavor. The dried leaves are then stone-ground into a fine powder.”
Amongst its many health benefits, matcha…
- Is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Detoxifies the body effectively and naturally Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins for a healthy immune system
- Enhances mood, relieves stress and aids in concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium (Great for the skin, immune and overall health of our body)
- Prevents disease (including heart disease, some cancers…)
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
How do I Make a Matcha Latte?
So when I had my first Matcha Latte it was like I died and went to Heaven! Im not even kidding it was THAT good! Granted, it may be a little potent to those who haven’t acquired a taste for green tea, but add a lil more sweeter or plant milk and you’ll be good to go! Below is my favorite way to whip up a sweet lil cup of this delicious drink, its fast, easy and guaranteed to give your day a little boost.
What You’ll Need:
- Your favorite Mug (I like this one bc its really wide!)
- 1 cup of plant milk of choice (I like to use Flax milk because it’s a little thicker than other plant milks)
- 1 tbsp boiling water1 tsp Green Tea Matcha Powder (This is the one I use, but you can buy any one that
- you’d like. Each one has a unique potency so just experiment with different brands until you find your favorite)
- 4 drops of Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Sweetener of choice (I personally use Agave Nectar but you can natural maple syrup, honey, or even stevia drops)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional: just boosts the immune system and ads a little healthy fat)
- Matcha bamboo whisk (optional: it makes you feel like a pro! You can use a spoon as an alternative)
- Boil a small jar of filtered water. You’ll only use about a tablespoon of it, maybe a little more if necessary. Bring plant milk to a boil on the stove. Be careful not to over boil it as it will deplete the nutrients from the Matcha if its too hot! Make sure its just warm enough for it to start steaming a little. This usually takes me about 5 minutes.
- Add the Matcha Powder, coconut oil, sweetener and vanilla to the bottom of your mug and slowly add boiled water. Whisk together to form a thick paste. Add more or less water to get to desired consistency.
- Pour in the warm milk and give it one last whisk.
- Add finishing touches (more sweetener, milk, etc.)
Thank you for reading,I hope you enjoyed this post and your Latte! Stay tuned for a new post every week. Subscribe to my email list so you get notified with every new post!
Until next time,